Monday, November 17, 2014

One Hour Wholewheat Seed Loaf

In my daily attempt to master the art of baking bread, I have come across several wonderful recipes for quick bread, which I can easily whip up for breakfast any morning... But none of them seemed to develop a good lasting crust. And I am lazy, I must admit! I really avoid the breads that call for lots of kneading and long rising periods. There had to be a middle ground, right? So after several adjustments to ingredients, baking times and procedures, I finally came up with the most amazing, yummiest, crusty seed loaf! And I whip it up in 1 hour, no more than that! I use this loaf for breakfast, lunches, dinners and for tapas! 

You can omit the seeds for a plain brown bread loaf, or even do all white flour instead of the combination. Either way, it always turns into a great crusty loaf. 

The secret to this recipe is the use of a crock pot, or dutch oven. You can even use any ceramic serving dish with a lid, like I did here. Any vessel, really, that can go in the oven with its lid. Just remember it has to be big enough to allow for rising. And use enough flour when dusting. 




One Hour Wholewheat Seed Loaf

2 cups warm water 
1 packet instant yeast 
1 1/2 tbsp sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups wholewheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsps linseeds
1/2 cup wheat bran (optional)

Poppy seeds for sprinkling on top 

Flour for dusting

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F, placing the crock pot or dutch oven inside to preheat along with the oven.

Mix together the water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Wait at least 5 minutes to let the yeast start to foam.

Add the salt, flours, seeds and wheat bran, all at once. Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is incorporated. The dough will be sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface (DO NOT knead!). 

With a spatula, fold the dough onto itself a few times (this will create some beautiful air pockets). 


Now form into a ball by taping on the sides lightly with your fingers, trying to not transfer much heat from your hands. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes so it can start rising. 

Take the pot out of the oven, remove lid, and quickly transfer the dough into the pot. With scissors, snip a couple of slits and sprinkle some poppy seeds in the slit. Replace the lid and return pot to oven. 

Bake for 30 minutes with the lid, then remove the lid and continue baking, uncovered, for 3 to 10 more minutes, depending on how dark you like the crust. 

Transfer the baked bread to a wire rack until it’s cool enough to eat.

1 comment: